Palestine: The Poem


Hello lovelies! 
So this post is quite different. I'm gonna be sharing my poem titled: 'Palestine'. Now if any of you don't know, last year there were huge, violent clashes between Israel and Palestine. This tension has been going on for decades but last year I was old enough to actually understand what was really going on. And it hit me. Hard. I would watch grandmothers collapse in tears at the loss of their entire families, children being orphaned in the blink of an eye, babies being carried by two people, because one had to carry their ripped apart legs and the other their separated torso.

That was the birth of this poem, I started writing it around August of last year. I am not Palestinian, but I wrote this from the point of view of one. I just was really hurt by what I saw during the 2014 conflicts.

I want to say a quick "thank you" to Stanley K. for helping me edit this.

Here it is:

Palestine
Saher Amin

The body parts of what was once my family
lie in my arms.
Five generations tortured.
Allah, send Angel Israel to guard the souls
of those who have fallen,
let them know that they are still living
and let the living hear the anthem of
a burning land.

An alamis taslam
La tas taslim*
You can shoot, push, blood, stab me
I will not fall.
You can rape, bomb, break me
I will not fall.
Battle, shackle, lie, sweatshop me
refugee, waterboard, oppress me
you will try to crack my rib, shatter my heart,
hunch my back, and dullen my eyes
but the bending of my knees belongs to my Lord.

Allah, light a fire inside of my heart
for the days when you did not ignite the sun.
When mother was ripped from child,
When nail was ripped from bloody raised palms,
When sixty year old hands were bejewelled
with beads of sweat
and gems of blood
and rings of oil lamps.
When the last Gaza rose
has been stripped of her colour.
When I am left reaching out
to the final mirage of a broken land,
I will not fall,
I can not fall.

There will be a day when we can eat together,
When we will make home in abandoned tanks.
Peace is stilled fallen bullet shells.
We will drink from cups made of old grenades.
When music is made from halted shrapnel
and silence is not the dancing embers of explosions past.
There will be a time when the walls sit with us
and not between us.

----
*I will not give up
Do not give up (Arabic)


Let's save each other. We're all we have.



2 comments:

  1. Saher, your writing is absolutely beautiful. GURLFRAN. Like wow :O Are you taking journalism or any kind of creative writing class at school? Because boothaaang you gaht it! :o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norkorrrr, thats actually why I finished it! They have a creative writing class this year!! BUT THANKS SO MUCH GYAL.

      Delete

 

Other Cool Blogs

Halcyon Bound

The Kente & Khanga Network

Voyageur Africaine - The Kente & Khanga Network

Bloglovin'