Hold Your Head Up: A Poem



Hi guyss!! Two posts in one day HWHAT.

Well I have a poem for you! *do the happy dance*
This poem was actually written to be a spoken word poem for my Creative Writing class. I was struggling so much about what to write when I had a dream... I was older and whispering advice to my baby daughter, but my daughter looked just like me when I was a baby. So I wrote this poem as a piece of advice to my daughter and to myself as well. I hope you enjoy it! 
(by the way: I do not have any children nor do I intend to have any for at least nine years)


Hold Your Head Up
Saher Amin
Be safe my little one. Hold your head up when no one is near.
I’ll always be waiting for you. Let the things they whisper to you float away like prayers of peace.
Grow into a love for life and a torch through the fog of burning homes.
You will see many long nights and witness one too many storms
and there will be many wrongs you want to fix. Remember, darling, my hand will be over you in every drizzle of the moon.
And, baby, there’s one or two things I want you to remember
and one or two kisses I want you to shelter:
You are incandescent and brilliant and you are light.
So wear your smile like lingerie and read alone in empty libraries.
Dance while you stand on Papa’s feet and make your laughter an everlasting elixir.
Create within you a ringing of dusty wings and coffee breaths.
I want you to see the beauty in 2AM bars and everything unknown of the universe.
I want you to see magic in poetry and silver spun words
                and the miracle of the moon controlling the sea
                and the joy in messy buns and lipstick mugs.
Murmur a secret to the stars and they will send it to heaven.
Drop change into the pocket of every smile you see and don’t be afraid
to look at the all the lights.
Baby this life, it isn’t easy. It isn’t going to work just the way you want.
But when it pushes you to the ground, I want you to stand up, wipe that dirt off and
remember who taught you to laugh in the face of war.
Be like wildflowers and grow into all the places people thought you never would.
Let joy take you prisoner in the hands of constellations
and deftly manipulate daisy shaped blood drops
before you spill out of your own vast greatness.
Don’t bend your back for any person but always bend your knees before your Lord.
I pray that your heartbeats match the pulse of your faraway dreams
that are always closer than they may initially seem.
There will be nights when you feel small enough to slip into the cracks between your atoms,
when you feel like all the galaxies are combusting inside your lungs.
But that’s okay, because you are made of breakable bones and miniscule atoms
And delicate stardust and you are too alive to feel anything more than human.
I pray you live a life you are proud of, that you laugh with people you have nothing in common with,
that you see the world and become a bewitched story teller of tales of love
                                                                                                   of land
                                                                                                   of seas and of lungs.
This place has no rules. We can make the best or worst of it. I hope you choose best.
I hope you name your happiness “infinite”. I hope you see things that surprise you.
I hope you find poetry that works magic in your blood. I hope you walk in the wilderness and risk exploring this place you don’t know. Be as open-minded as the phases of the moon because the moon lights everyone up each night no matter what it sees during the day.
So don’t let me catch you at the intersection of war and disunion.
Go out there and mystify with your transcendent brain and always be glad for October.
You are beautiful and you are a mosaic of magic and music and soul and neurons.
I will see the best of you and I'm sure I will see the worst
But I will always choose you whole.
When I am old and can no longer remember your face
I look forward to meeting you over and over.
I want you to take my hand so that I can promise I’ll never let go.
Be safe my little one. Hold your head up even when no one is near.
Grow into love and mosaics and everything in between.
I’ll always be here waiting.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Other Cool Blogs

Halcyon Bound

The Kente & Khanga Network

Voyageur Africaine - The Kente & Khanga Network

Bloglovin'